It seems like everyone and his dog is stressing the importance of having a blog these days; from freelance accountants to multinational corporations to mom and pop hardware stores, entrepreneurs at every level are blogging daily in an effort to get noticed online. But is all of this blogging really necessary?
We are here to tell you that yes, it certainly is – and it is not as straightforward as you might think. Whether you plan to set up the blog yourself or you are planning to hire a professional Web Design and SEO Company, there are a few key factors that you need to keep in mind as you get started.
- Fresh content is key – Creating fresh content on the regular is incredibly important when it comes to your Search Engine rankings. Google places more value and priority on websites that regularly post new, completely original content, and this is why your blog is so very important to your success. Make sure that your blog is updated on at least a weekly basis – or even more often for greater success.
- Backlinks, backlinks, backlinks – A regularly updated blog can help you to create valuable backlinks (links to and from your website that Google sees as an endorsement of your brand) and this can help you to rise quickly in the Google rankings. Try to link to ‘fresh’ pages – that is, pages that have been recently added or updated – and try to build relationships with brands, individuals or businesses who will link to you in return.
- Choose a meaningful topic – In order to give your readers something of value, ensure that you choose a topic that really speaks to your potential clientele. Consider timely news topics, how to guides, lists of dos and don’ts and other topics that your desired demographic would likely be searching for and would consider time well spent.
- Meaningful keywords are vital – Your blog posts should harness the work that Google has already done for you. By assessing your Google Analytics you can see the search terms that has brought traffic to your site in the past, and you can also determine common keywords used industry wide. Make sure that these keywords are integrated into your blog in a seamless and engaging way that makes sense and doesn’t read strangely.
- Quality matters more than anything – Blog posts that are written in halting, fractured English or that make no attempt to integrate keywords in a seamless and natural way are worthless when it comes to your rankings – and your readership. Ideally, you want to grab your readers and provide them with a piece of writing that is valuable and interesting, encouraging them to share it widely across social media and hopefully purchase your product or services.
With this brief but informative list of tips in mind, you are well on your way to starting a successful blog that will help propel your business to new heights – and engage your clientele like never before.